V/A - SOUL SAFARI PRESENTS TOWNSHIP JIVE & KWELA JAZZ VOLUME 3
Soul Safari started as a blog to showcase the music of Africa with a strong emphasis on South Africa. Now in its 6th year, Soul Safari is proud to present the third volume of the compilation 'Township Jive & Kwela Jazz', a collection of rare gems originally released as shellac 78's in the period 1960-1965 in South Africa.
On this third volume the selection features the gorgeous close harmony vocal groups singing in the tradition of American R & B and doo wop. But always with that typical South African swing and sung in the Zulu or Xhosa languages. DJ Eddy de Clercq who initiated this compilation, also selected a few tunes that stand for the transition from early jive to mbanqaga, a most democratic vocal style characterized by the typical 'groaning', a form of call and answer between the male leader (groaner) and female singers. Mbanqaga would follow up jive as the popular vocal music from 1965 onwards.
Kwela jazz knew many variations in which the original instrument, the penny whistle was traded in for accordion, violin, even a melodica, an instrument that also became widely popular in Jamaica. Similarities with uptempo ska can be heard in tunes by Kid Ma Wrong Wrong and Bra Sello featured on this compilation. Again an exciting selection of rare recordings from the heyday of South African Jive & Kwela. Truly music treasures from a long gone past.
1. Ngibosen Twist -Telegram Specials
2. Izwe Liyasha - The Young Stars
3. Ulowa - The Young Stars
4. Intogeymy - The Lower Buttons
5. Nylon -The Lower Buttons
6. Kudala Ngizula -Cowboy Superman & His Cowboy Sisters
7. Manka Binde -Que Sisters
8. Nice Time -Que Sisters
9. Mangothobane -Flying Jazz Queens
10. Wamuhle Lomfana -Flying Jazz Queens
11. Unjak' Upelile -Izintombi Zesi Manje Manje
12. Five Two Six -Kid Ma Wrong Wrong
13. Gumba Gumba 800-Kid Ma Wrong Wrong
14. Seven Stitches -Kid Ma Wrong Wrong
15. Rock Phata 1001-Kid Ma Wrong Wrong with the SDV Swing Band
16. Lulu Part 4 - Bra Sello