V/A - SOUL SAFARI PRESENTS TOWNSHIP JIVE & KWELA JAZZ VOLUME 4
≈ SHIPPING FROM FRIDAY 8TH SEPTEMBER ≈
16 early vocal & jazzy tunes from the Golden Age of Jive & Kwela in South Africa. Released originally on fragile shellac discs only. Shellac is a very delicate material but the music survived thanks to the archives of ILAM. A truly great source of South African music is being preserved here for new generations, to inspire young and hopeful musicians and singers from all over the world. 180gram vinyl.
These pearls of musical genius were recorded in the glory years of jive and kwela, the years 1940-1965 . On side A it is not difficult to recognise the similarities to American popular music like R&B and small combo close harmony singing.
But most of all notice that typical South African swing, that jive, that incredible smooth form of African jazz on side B; Kwela!
1. Stamkoko -Izintombi Zesi manje manje (1965)
2. Udali - Maphela (1960)
3. Sabela - Maphela (1960)
4. Usana Lwam - Mississippi Brothers & Beauty Diloane (1940)
5. Ukhiye - Susan Gabashane & Her Honeybees (1960)
6. Ukuhlupheka - Susan Gabashane & Her Honeybees (1960)
7. Umsakazo E Grahamstown - Alabhama Kids (1960)
8. Lizzy - Mississippi Brothers (1940)
9. Asinamali - Alabhama Kids (1960)
10. Baboon Shepherd - Black Duke & Peter Makana (1950)
11. Battle Of The Flutes - Black Duke & Peter Makana (1950)
12. Shukuma Duke - Black Duke (1950)
13. Duke Blues - Black Duke (1950)
14. Black John - Peter Makana (1950)
15. Blood Mixture - Peter Makana - (1950)
16. Egoli Zinyozi - Alfred Dlezi & Dlamini (1950)